I just did some perfect lacquering! it’s taken six months to achieve but I’ve done it!!!
I have been fighting with this lacquering for so long. I have put it on, taken it off, put it on again…
Every time I have had streaks or runs or patches or it’s been okay but too thick (and hence a funny orange colour).
I figured it was best to give up on this microscope and change over to a simpler style of microscope with fewer fiddly bits. A little Royal Society of Arts microscope. I deccided to have one last bash and it worked.
It seems to come down to two things – the cloth must be very moist but not dripping with lacquer and the lacquering must be done quickly, ideally within 20 seconds.
I’m in the process of stripping another not quite perfect part of the microscope now. I’m not going to strip the focus knobs though, they are very fiddly and I need to move on. I don’t want to get bored and lose interest.